Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Does spiral jetty make the great salt lake a museum?

I would say that the Spiral Jetty does not make the Great Salt Lake a museum. Although it is a very impressive piece of earth art it is a single piece of art. When I think about museums I think of a collection of objects, pieces of art, or other interesting items. While the attempt of preservation of Spiral Jetty is, in fact, continuing, it was created in an environment that the artist, Robert Smithson, knew it would someday come apart. The Great Salt Lake is simply nature, just the same as Spiral Jetty is only nature that has been reshaped. Personally, I do not feel like nature can be looked at as a museum. Although it can be beautiful as well as preserved, it has a natural course over time that creates change. While on the other hand a museum prevents change from happening to the best of their ability. Since nature can be unpredictable, it would be difficult to ensure the preservation of the work. When the idea of a museum is brought up, it makes me think of buildings and glass cases. While there is a lack of a building or an actual structure in nature, art can still be observed but I just wouldn’t classify the area as a museum, as I would not consider the Great Salt Lake a museum to observe Spiral Jetty.

No comments:

Post a Comment