Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Museum Success

When I went to the Karshner Museum as part of a field trip when I was younger and thought that it was very effective in giving children the experience of learning about another culture. The purposiveness was very apparent. Everything in the museum is geared towards children and has interactive areas in which kids can grind corn as Native Americans once did along with sit in a teepee and hear old tales of America. I believe that kids learn a lot more by touching, feeling, and doing things where as adults can learn by interacting as well as reading since their attention can be held longer. My experience at the Karshner Museum was successful because it was effective at making me and all of my classmates excited about learning the history of different aspects of America. The museum is attached to Karshner Elementary School so it only makes sense that the museum is designed for children. Because the museum does have interactive areas I believe it is successful in its purpose to educated children.

1 comment:

  1. I think that people underestimate the impact that interaction can have on a person's enjoyment of a museum. I think that you are right about the fact that this is especially important in keeping children's attention, and I think that this can also help adults because it is a break from just reading about objects. In today's society I think there is a much greater emphasis in interaction instead of just passive learning in museums. For this case in particular it is a great way for kids and adults to get a better idea of what living in a different culture is like. Being able to touch objects instead of just looking at them really adds to the experience and connects you even more to the artifacts, which is clear from your experience at the Karshner Museum.

    ReplyDelete